Hi, my name is Ami Martin and I'm an actor.
Yes! It's true, I'm an actor.
I'm also a photographer. I promise I'll explain the photographer part in a bit.
My story begins almost 10 years ago when I was 23 and moved to LA to act.
Unfortunately, I had no idea what I was doing and failed miserably.
So, I detoured into working behind the scenes in entertainment for the better part of a decade. First in live action casting and animation development for Nickelodeon, and later in production for Disney Television Animation on shows like Penn Zero: Part Time Hero and Future Worm!.
As much as I loved my career at Disney and in animation, over time I knew that my heart was yearning for something more. Over time it just kept yearning louder and louder.
So last year, after much soul searching, I decided to take the leap and figure out what that really meant for me. I traveled for a full month, to Mexico City, Tulum, New York, and San Francisco. I basically Eat, Pray, Love-d.
I searched deep, thinking that I had left to solely focus on building a media company. But when I searched, the answer that I arrived at was different. I wanted, nay needed, to pursue life as an actor.
I would finally commit to my dream.
Making that choice was one of the most terrifying things I've ever done, but not a day goes by when I haven't been thankful to have taken that leap. I am finally living my calling, and I've never believed that more than I have today. I am happier than I've ever been.
So how does photography play into all of this?
While working in TV in 2010, I found photography, which challenged me creatively where acting had left a hole, and it was something that I never had expected in a million years. It prompted me to start building a business. It's crazy to think that I've now been a photographer for almost seven years!
Acting is my life's passion. I feel very fortunate that I've been able to pursue it while fostering a second creative career as a photographer.
Photography is what funds my dream.
Want to know more?
I'm a very active, energetic, and passionate person, and you can usually find me:
- Traveling -- Last year I traveled to Okinawa, Mexico City, Tulum, New York City, San Francisco, Oakland, and Seattle
- Podcasting -- I have a podcast about the relationships that we with others and the relationships that we have with ourselves called "Late Night Snap Chat" which you can listen to here: LNSC.
- Flying my drone -- I love shooting nature, you can check out some of my videos on my instagram here: ami__martin
- Working out -- Running, indoor cycling, and resistance training
- Eating -- My favorite restaurant in LA is Bestia, and you have to try the burger at Everson Royce
- Reading -- I'm a self-help junkie and recently finished Lewis Howes's The School of Greatness, Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert, and The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
- Dancing -- I grew up listening and dancing to Latin music, and have been dancing to it for more than 17 years. To me, there is nothing else quite like it: Banda, Cumbia, Merengue, Bachata, and Reggaeton